Bed bugs are tiny parasitic insects that feed on the blood of humans and animals while they sleep. They are known to be excellent hitchhikers and can quickly spread from one location to another through personal belongings, luggage, and even on clothing. Bed bugs are a growing problem worldwide, with reports of infestations on the rise in many countries. In this blog, we will explore the life cycle of bed bugs, the signs of an infestation, and the most effective ways to get rid of them with bed bug treatment in Knoxville.
Life Cycle of Bed Bugs
Bed bugs go through several life stages, including egg, nymph, and adult. The eggs are small and white and are often found in clusters in cracks and crevices. They hatch into nymphs, which are smaller versions of the adult bed bug, and go through several molts before reaching adulthood. Adult bed bugs are about the size of an apple seed and are reddish-brown in color. They can live for several months without feeding, but they will feed every 5-10 days when they have access to a host.
How Common Are Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs are present in all 50 states! According to a recent survey by NPMA, the incidence of these particular pests is three times higher in urban areas than in rural ones. This is mainly due to larger populations and increased mobility making it easier for bed bugs to spread rapidly. The spread of bed bugs across the country is reasonably even, with 17% in the Northeast, 20% in the midwest, 20% in the South, and 19% in the West.
Signs of an Infestation
The most obvious sign of a bed bug infestation is the appearance of bites on the skin. Bed bug bites are typically small, red, and itchy, and are often found in a line or cluster on the skin. Other signs of an infestation include bed bug fecal stains, which look like small black dots on bedding or furniture and shed skins and eggs. As soon as you notice some of these signs, it is important to seek professional bed bug treatment in Knoxville.
Getting Rid of Bed Bugs
Getting rid of bed bugs can be a challenging and time-consuming process, but it is possible with the right treatment methods. It certainly isn't something that you should try to tackle on your own. You must consult professionals to determine the best type of bed bug treatment in Knoxville, depending on your individual circumstances. Here are some of the most effective ways to get rid of bed bugs that your pest control technician might recommend:
- Heat Treatment - Bed bugs are sensitive to high temperatures, so heat treatment is one of the most effective ways to kill them. This involves heating the infested area to a temperature of at least 120°F for several hours.
- Insecticides - Insecticides can be used to kill bed bugs, but they must be applied correctly and in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
- Vacuuming - Vacuuming can help to remove bed bugs and their eggs from bedding, furniture, and carpets. It is important to dispose of the vacuum bag immediately after vacuuming to prevent the bed bugs from escaping.
- Mattress Encasements - Mattress encasements can be used to trap bed bugs inside the mattress and prevent them from spreading to other areas.
- Professional Pest Control - It is very unlikely that you will be able to successfully deal with bed bugs on your own. It is usually necessary to hire a professional pest control company to provide bed bug treatment in Knoxville.
Bed bugs are a growing problem that can cause a lot of stress and discomfort for those affected by them. It is important to be vigilant for signs of an infestation and to take action quickly if you suspect that you have bed bugs in your home. With the right bed bug treatment in Knoxville, it is possible to get rid of bed bugs and significantly reduce the likelihood of them returning.
Why Choose Otis Pest Control?
At Otis Pest Control, we have been providing bed bug treatment in Knoxville and the surrounding areas of East Tennessee for over 47 years. During that time, we have seen bed bug infestations increase to epidemic proportions in the United States. We have found that one of the safest and most effective ways to eliminate a bed bug infestation from your home, or your business, is by using thermal heat treatment. This can penetrate every crack and crevice, raising the temperature to a point where bed bugs and their eggs can no longer survive.
Otis Termite & Pest Control is a full-service pest control company with a focus on outstanding service. We have been serving the East Tennessee area for over 56 years and our reputation is built on prompt and effective service. We’re good at what we do and we’re fast. We do the job right the first time – and that’s an actual guarantee!
Call 865.690.1662 or visit www.otispestcontrol.net.