Have you ever wondered why some properties seem more prone to infestations from various pests and vermin than others? The truth is, there are many factors that come into play that might encourage insects and rodents to seek the shelter of your property rather than staying outside where they belong! This might include things like changes in the weather, temperature, periods of drought, or simply that your property is attractive because it offers food and shelter. At Otis Termite & Pest Control Service we help residential and commercial clients to rid their properties of unwanted guests, but we also offer help in preventing an infestation in the first place!
Check out some of our top tips for making your property less attractive to pests!
- Keep tall weeds cut back away from the perimeter of your home and also around fencing that surrounds the boundary of your property. Similarly, you need to keep bushes and trees well pruned and make sure they are not making contact with your home.
- Pests will enter your home via whatever gaps they can find. Make sure that the thresholds of all doors fit snugly and check that there are no cracks or gaps around your windows. You will also want to make sure that your garage door has a proper seal to prevent rodents and insects from entering and those external doors have well-fitting screens that are free from any damage.
- Food is a huge factor in attracting many types of pests! We recommend keeping fresh fruit in your refrigerator. If you need to dispose of fruit that has gone bad, seal it inside a plastic bag before placing it in the trash to avoid fruit flies. This goes for all food waste and you will also want to make sure garbage cans have a tight-fitting lid.
- Pet food can also be a major concern when it comes to attracting pests into your home. Dog food and other pet supplies should be kept in tightly sealed containers so that pests cannot get into them. If you keep birdseed for pets, or even just to feed wild birds, this also needs to be in a sealed container and should be checked regularly for grain weevils.
- Clean your gutters regularly to remove any debris that might accumulate there including dead leaves and moss. It is also important that your downspouts are clear and have attachments to drain water away from the building.
- Water and dampness are big issues that can attract a variety of pests, so take the time to check pipes, water heaters, and air conditioners for potential leaks.
- Pest can enter your property via even the smallest of gaps! Not just insects, but rodents too have the ability to flatten themselves substantially to squeeze through small cracks! We suggest using something like caulk to seal up any holes you find around the property both indoors and outside. You should also add a seal wherever electrical lines, cables, or pipes enter the property.
- If you have a storage area such as your attic, basement, or garage, keeping it tidy goes a long way towards discouraging pests. Stack things in an orderly fashion and make sure boxes are a minimum of 18 inches away from the walls.
- What’s going on in your yard is equally as important if you want to stop pests invading your home or business. Landscaping mulch should never be piled against the foundation of your building. You will also want to make sure that foundation vents are properly installed at appropriate intervals and the flow of air is not blocked. If you have any tree stumps in the yard these should be removed and you should avoid stacking firewood adjacent to your home.
- If you have a chimney, adding a cap will prevent birds from entering the property via that route. Birds can not only become a pest themselves, but they also carry in many insects with them!
If you call on a professional pest control expert like Otis Termite & Pest Control, the technicians will be able to offer additional advice for discouraging pests based on your own individual needs. They may also leave bait traps around the property. It is important not to move or otherwise tamper with these devices.
Otis Termite & Pest Control is a full-service pest control company with a focus on outstanding service. We have been serving the East Tennessee area for over 56 years and our reputation is built on prompt and effective service. We’re good at what we do and we’re fast. We do the job right the first time – and that’s an actual guarantee!