It’s that time of year again when we all start to make promises to ourselves that this will be the year that we finally stay on top of all the things we need to take care of around the house. We start making a list of odd jobs that need fixing and checking that we have all of our services, like trash collection, in order. Another thing to add to that list is to ensure you have taken the appropriate steps to keep your home free from pests. That includes setting up a service contract for pest control in Knoxville.
Outdoor Pest Control Tips
Pest control starts outside since that is where most pests originate before finding a way to access your home. You would probably be surprised to learn that even the most modern homes have a multitude of potential entry points for pests. Many pests can fit through even the tiniest of cracks or holes! One of the most important steps you can take to prevent pests is to make the exterior of your home as uninviting to them as possible! Here are a few tips you can follow to help discourage pests from entering your home.
- Trim Branches & Bushes - If you have trees that have overhanging branches near your home or any bushes and other plants close to the walls, pests can use them as a bridge to enter your home. It is important to cut back your trees and shrubbery regularly to make things more difficult for pests!
- Keep Mulch & Leaves Away - Mulch and fallen leaves are a rich source of moisture and decaying plant matter. That is the equivalent of an all-you-can-eat buffet for a variety of pests. Ideally, you will want to keep mulch at least a few feet away from the perimeter of the building, but if you can’t, the next best thing is to turn or change it on a regular schedule to keep it fresh.
- You Should Stack Firewood Away From The Home - If you have a supply of firewood on your property, make sure you stack it some distance from the house. The recommendation is to have it at least 20 feet away from your outer walls. A wood pile is an ideal place for pests to set up home. It is also wise to inspect any wood you bring inside for evidence of potential pest activity.
- Seal Up Cracks & Crevices - As mentioned previously, some pests can squeeze in through the smallest cracks. It is a good idea to check all meeting points, including where the wall meets the foundation or around windows and other openings. Seal up any gaps that you find using silicone filler. This is especially important in areas where moisture may gather.
- Clean Your Gutters - Gutters are a prime spot for collecting leaves, standing water, and other debris. This makes them the perfect spot for many different pests to make their home. It also helps them to gain access to your home.
- Fix Screens - If your home has a screen door, make sure that it has no cracks or holes, as this is a potential access point for pests. Get any damaged areas repaired promptly.
- Book Pest Control Treatment - When you have taken care of the potential pest magnets mentioned here, the next step is to arrange pest control in Knoxville. Otis Pest Control will complete the property inspection and recommend the best pest control treatment that is best suited to your needs based on the results. Depending on your need, we offer monthly or quarterly pest control in Knoxville and the surrounding area.
Indoor Pest Control Tips
When it comes to preventing pests indoors, the most important tip we can offer, aside from professional pest control in Knoxville, is to keep your home clean and tidy. Food is a massive reason for pest infestations, so make sure you clean up crumbs and food waste daily. You should store opened food packages, those for human consumption and for pets, in sealed containers. Moisture is also an attractive feature for pests, so be sure to deal with any leaks promptly. When pests make their way into your home, they seek food, water, and a place to nest. Removing those amenities will make your home less attractive to most pests. If you have hired pest control in Knoxville to treat outdoors, you may also want to consider some indoor treatment depending on the types of pests you may be dealing with. Often this does not need to be as regular as your outdoor treatments, but some customers like to have basements and garages treated since those are hotspots for various pests.
Otis Termite & Pest Control is a full-service pest control company with a focus on outstanding service. We have been serving the East Tennessee area for over 56 years and our reputation is built on prompt and effective service. We’re good at what we do and we’re fast. We do the job right the first time – and that’s an actual guarantee!
Call 865.690.1662 or visit www.otispestcontrol.net.